January 9, 2020 – 2020 Issues to Watch
November 19, 2019 – Recorded webcast: A Conversation with Injured Workers
October 15, 2019 – Cannabis Confusion: Separating Facts from Fiction
September 12, 2019 – Recorded webcast: Measuring success in Workers’ Compensation from WCI
August 13, 2019 – Award-winning risk management: WCI interview
April 17, 2019 – The Globalization of Risk Management
March 12 , 2019 – The Future of Work
February 19, 2019 – Impact of Expanding Leave of Absence Regulations
January 8, 2019 – 20 Issues to Watch in 2019
October 25, 2018 – Insurtech: Revolution, evolution or hype?
September 18, 2018 – People, Places and Things – The Future of Workers’ Compensation
June 12, 2018 – Emerging Solutions in Telemedicine
May 15, 2018 – Workplace Violence: Assessment and Response
April 10, 2018 – Pain Management Without Opioids
Pain resources mentioned during our webinar:
- Back in Control | David Hanscom, M.D
- Master Your Pain, Jill Fancher, PhD (Patient pain manual)
- Stop Breathe & Think – meditation app
- Headspace – meditation app
- Medisafe – app medication tracker with reminders
- YogaAmazing – yoga app
- Relax & Sleep Well – app
- Shirley Ryan AbilityLab Life Center
- Managing Pain Before It Manages You, Caudill, Margaret. 4th Ed. Guilford Press: 2016.
- American Chronic Pain Association
- Toolkit for Employers, Preventing Chronic Pain
- General information about chronic pain here
March 20, 2018 – “Workforce Wellbeing: Bridging Health and Productivity”
February 13, 2018 – “The Impact of Natural Disasters on Risk Management”
January 8, 2018 – “Workers’ Compensation – 20 Issues to Watch in 2018”
September 28, 2017 – “Understanding the ADAAA Interactive Process,” with guest speakers:
- Bryon Bass, SVP, Disability and Absence Practice & Compliance, Sedgwick
- Ingrid Blackwell, Manager, Integrated Disability Management, Safety and Health, Pacific Gas and Electric Company
- Herminio Vargas, Program Manager, Absence Management,
August 9, 2017 – OFI interviews the winners of the National Underwriter Excellence in Workers’ Compensation Risk Management Awards. Recorded at WCI. Watch here.
May 22, 2017 “LIVE FROM THE SHIRLEY RYAN ABILITYLAB” DOCUMENTARY
It is big news for the workers’ compensation and healthcare community when a rehabilitation facility that is considered the best in the world decides to reinvent itself. In March, the world-renowned Rehab Institute of Chicago opened a new, state-of-the-art facility and rebranded themselves as the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab. Out Front Ideas with Kimberly and Mark was invited to go behind the scenes for an immersion experience and produced a professional documentary to share our enlightening visit.
View “Live from the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab” on demand to:
- Go behind the scenes and learn first-hand what it is like to be a patient at this facility.
- Hear perspectives of guests who participated in the immersion experience.
- Learn about the facility’s vision and their viewpoints on the future of rehabilitative medicine.
- Hear leadership discuss their most important measure of success and new measures developed to determine results.
- Learn how the relationship between researchers and clinicians helps to improve patient outcomes.
- Understand the importance of pain management programs in reducing opioid consumption.
- And more!
- Joanne Smith, MD, President and CEO
- James Sliwa, DO, Chief Medical Officer
- Richard Lieber, PhD, Chief Scientific Officer
- Kelly Cox Watkins, MSN, Market Development
May 9, 2017 “Alternatives to Opioids for Pain Management” with Kimberly George, Mark Walls and panelists
- Beth Darnall, PhD, Clinical Associate Professor, Division of Pain Medicine, Stanford University
Clinical Pain Psychologist, Stanford Pain Management Center
Author of Less Pain, Fewer Pills and The Opioid-Free Pain Relief Kit
- Steve P. Stanos, DO, Medical Director of Pain Medicine Services, Director of Occupational Medicine Services, Swedish Medical System, President, The American Academy of Pain Medicine
Click here for resources mentioned during the program.
April 11, 2017 “The Impact of Mental Health & Well-Being in Workers’ Compensation” with Kimberly George, Mark Walls and panelists
- Bryon Bass, Senior Vice President Disability, Absence and Compliance, Sedgwick
- Denise Zoe Algire, Director, Managed Care and Disability, Albertson’s Companies
- Maggie Alvarez-Miller, Director of Business and Product Development, Aptus Risk Solutions
- Brian Downs, Vice President Quality and Provider Relations, Workers’ Compensation Trust
February 9, 2017 “Obstacles and Opportunities of Treatment Guidelines” with Kimberly George, Mark Walls and panelists
- Doug Benner, M.D. – Chief Medical Officer, EK Health Inc., and National Medical Director, Macy’s Inc. Claims Services
- Darrell Brown – Executive Vice President, Chief Claims Officer, Sedgwick
- Mark Pew – Senior Vice President, PRIUM
- Amy Lee – Special Advisor, Texas Department of Insurance, Division of Workers’ Compensation
January 10, 2017 “Workers’ Compensation – 20 Issues to Watch in 2017” with Kimberly George and Mark Walls.
October 26, 2016 “Occupational Health – Past, Present & Future” with Kimberly George, Mark Walls and panelists Keith Newton, CEO, Concentra; Joe Mallas, CEO, U.S. Healthworks; and Roman Kownacki, Medical Director, Regional Occupational Health, The Permanente Medical Group, Inc.
Live from WCI: Archive – Out Front Ideas presents “Centers for Excellence at WCI 2016”
- Sedgwick blogs
- Safety National Conference Chronicles
- Watch Tuesday’s panel discussion
- Give Kids the World WCI Volunteer Day 2016 – YouTube
September 20, 2016 “Intersection of ADAAA, FMLA & Workers’ Compensation” with Kimberly George, Mark Walls and panelists Bryon Bass, Sr. VP, Disability and Absence Practice and Compliance, Sedgwick Claims Management Services, Inc.; Jeff Nowak, Co-Chair, Labor and Employment Practice Group, Franczek Radelet; Adrienne Paler, Director, Total Health & Productivity Management, Integrated Disability and Absence Management, Sutter Health.
Read the Q&A from that session here.
June 14, 2016 “How Successful Partnerships Enhance Your Workers’ Compensation Program” Out Front Ideas webcast, recorded with a live panel at SIIA Workers’ Compensation Executive Forum in Scottsdale, AZ, discussing strategies for building effective partnerships from both the employer and self-insured group perspective. Conversation includes Virginia Baba, Senior Manager Claims – Risk Management, PetSmart, Inc., Diane Ritucci, President & Chief Executive Officer, Workers’ Compensation Trust, Stu Thompson, CEO, The Builder’s Group and Kevin Confetti, Deputy Chief Risk Officer, University of California
May 10, 2016 “The Changing Face of Insurance: Talent Attraction, Retention & Training” with Kimberly George, Mark Walls and panelists Terri Browne, Chief People Officer, Sedgwick, Angela Schaefer, VP of Human Resources & Employee Engagement, Safety National, David DePaolo, President, WorkCompCentral and Jessie Gaudio, Director, MyPath
April 5, 2016 “OSHA Issues to Watch” with Kimberly George, Mark Walls and panelists Don Enke, Director – Risk Control Services at Safety National and Susan Wiltsie, Hunton & Williams.
March 15, 2016 “Developing an Advocacy-Based Claims Model for Workers’ Compensation” with Kimberly George, Mark Walls and panelists Denise Zoe Algire, Director of Managed Care & Disability, Corporate Risk Management, Albertsons Safeway | Artemis Emslie, President, myMatrixx | Noreen Olson, Manager, Claims, Starbucks | Kathy Tazic, Managing Director, National Accounts, Sedgwick
February 9, 2016 “How the Bureaucracy of Workers’ Compensation Drives Costs” with Kimberly George, Mark Walls, and panelists Todd Brown, Practice Leader Compliance and Regulatory Affairs, Medata; Francine Johnson, Vice President Regulatory Business Consulting and Analytics, Coventry; Mark Long, Director – Workers’ Compensation Agency, State of Michigan; Angelo Williams, Vice President – Corporate Compliance, Safety National and Jon Wroten, SVP Compliance & Regulatory Affairs, Sedgwick
January 12, 2016 “Workers’ Compensation issues to watch in 2016” with Kimberly George and Mark Walls.
September 30, 2015 live from California Workers’ Compensation and Risk Conference panel discussion “Future of Workers’ Comp Healthcare Delivery,” with Rupali Das, MD, MPH (Executive Medical Director) Department of Industrial Relations – Division on Workers’ Compensation, Kimberly George (Senior Vice President) Sedgwick, Mark Walls (Vice President Communications & Strategic Analysis) Safety National, Greg Moore (President) Harbor Health, and Pedram Salimpour, MD (President) LA County Medical Association
September 1 webinar “Measuring Outcomes,” with Darrell Brown, Chief Claims Officer, Sedgwick, Karen Casserly, Director – Client Services, Safety National, and Patti Cowell, Manager, Workers’ Compensation Program, Southwest Airlines
August 25 interview the winners of National Underwriter’s Excellence in Workers’ Compensation Risk Management,Workers’ Comp winner’s circle, Patti Colwell of Southwest Airlines, Kathy Hawkinson of Cedar Fair Entertainment Co. and Jeff O’Connor of Broward County, Fla.
July 29 webinar “Integrated Disability Management: Benefits of a Streamlined Approach” with Junia McGraw, Program Manager, Absence Management at APS, Darryl Hammann, Executive Vice President Disability Operations at Sedgwick and Jason J. Denis, Director of Absence Management at Providence Health & Services
June 18 webinar “How Will OSHA Changes Impact Your Workers’ Compensation Program,” with panelists Mark Sullivan, Aon Hewitt and Melissa Bailey, Ogletree Deakins. Please note that we experienced technical difficulties at the beginning of the recording that prevented us from recording the introduction. The recording starts on the first topic slide, so no content was lost.
April 24 LIVE broadcast from RIMS 2015 “The evolution of the workers’ compensation industry.” Watch the video here.
April 21 webinar “How the Workers’ Compensation Community Can Benefit from Social Media.”